Welcome!

Working mom, grad school student, stage mom, and overall insane person blogging about my life as I know it. Expect funny stuff, sad stuff and general rants about my family, my life and my world. I promise it won't be boring! :-)

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hello there, it's been a while...

Beanie performing her lines at the PMT showcase
at the Byham Theater in May, 2010

The craziness of school starting is finally starting to wind down and fall activities are kicking into full swing. So before I start blogging about my experiences with Pittsburgh Musical Theater, Kyiv Ukrainian Dance Ensemble, Band and the myriad other activities the kiddos partake in, I thought I'd write a quickstart guide to my life outside of summer vacay.

My stuff:
Aside from the day-to-day work stuff, house stuff and personal grooming, I've begun a graduate program at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania in Communciation Studies. I'm three days into the program and am confident that I can do this. Homework at lunchtime, while Beanie is doing HER homework and in bed at night should work. Did I mention the EIGHT papers I have to write this semester? Two 20 pagers and 6 smaller papers. GULP. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this...Eyes On the Prize, baby...

Beanie's activities:
Pittsburgh Musical Theater
Beanie takes classes all day on Saturdays with PMT (she's been with them since she was 6). It's an excellent training ground for aspiring performers (and aspiring kids in general) in musical theater, dance, voice and acting. They produce broadway performers, professional actors and, more importantly, generations of children who are poised, cooperative, graceful, confident people who are natural public speakers. They perform their end of the semester showcases (like a recital) twice per year at the Byham, in front of a crowd of nearly 1,000 people. Last year was her first show and she was a villager/rich person in Once On This Island at the Hazlett Theater. She loved every minute of it, despite the I-N-T-E-N-S-E rehearsal schedule. PMT is amazing in that they attract incredible talent, hone it, and use it in amazing ways to produce professional-level productions in the Cultural District (namely, the Byham and the Hazlett theaters). They give their students amazing opportunities and I'm so very grateful to them for the experiences they have provided to Beanie. She has opened up more, grown as a person, become more graceful and vocal and understands dedication and hard work more than I could have ever taught her. This year is a BIG season, the 20th anniversary, and they are going to do some HUGE productions...Phantom, Hairspray, Cats, Seussical, and Beauty and the Beast. Auditions will be in a few weeks and Beanie's working hard on her audition piece.

Kyiv Ukrainian Dance
Beanie is a Ukrainian dancer. I was a Ukrainian dancer. My mom was a Ukrainian dancer. My grandmother was a Ukrainian dancer. Beanie is the FOURTH generation to learn and perform with this amazing folk dance group. I can't tell you how incredible it makes me feel to know that my children are learning about their heritage and carrying on a family legacy. Budgie is starting dance this year, as well. The athleticism involved with Ukrainian dance, especially for the guys, will truly help him with his sports.

Band
Beanie decided that she wants to be in the school band. W00T. She wants to play the flute, which means that there will be practice every night, added on to her 40 minutes of homework per night. Yee haw. Can't wait for THIS one. We are going to do our homework together every night and I can see it now...

My reading: And the crux of the juxtaposition of the perpendicular pretenses

Beanie: TWWEEEETTT

My reading: and the horticultural bias of the nanobots

Beanie: TWEEEEEET

My reading: in the hemispherical stratosphere is non-negotiable

Beanie: HONNNNKKKK

My reading: in many non-isopheric horcruxes.

Beanie: MOMMMM How do you empty the spit, again?

Did I ever tell you that I have an aversion to spit?

Yeah, this is gonna be FUNNNNNN!!!

So until next week when all this craziness starts, I'll be enjoying my last few minutes of freedom...and my last frozen margarita of the summer this weekend.

Have a happy Labor Day, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment